New LEGO® campaign celebrates 90 years of Rebuilding the World through play
Billund, Denmark, June 9, 2022: The LEGO Group has launched its biggest ever global brand campaign celebrating the power of play and the creativity of its fans in the lead up to its 90th Anniversary on August 10th, 2022.
Four years after the launch of its successful “Rebuild the World” brand platform, the company’s latest effort will showcase playful inspiration, activities and collaborations after new LEGO® research shows play is fundamental to wellbeing and happiness for the whole family.
The new campaign invites fans to come together and prioritize play for nine weeks this summer in the company’s first ever full takeover of LEGO.com, social media, e-commerce channels, stores and LEGOLAND parks with the LEGO Foundation and LEGO House’s support.
We Are All Builders
Out today, the campaign’s hero film celebrates the impact that playful building and creation has made on the world in the last nine decades. The new ‘We Are All Builders’ film starts and ends with children and their boundless imaginations and optimism reimagining the world around them with LEGO bricks as they rebuild it into a friendlier, more inclusive and more playful place than before.
Building a World of Play
The hero film will kick-off a calendar of activities across the summer culminating in the LEGO Group’s World Play Day, a global day dedicated to the joy and benefits of play on August 10th, 2022 – the brand’s 90th Anniversary. Activities will include:
• Giving its 24,000+ colleagues around the world time off to celebrate and experience the power of play together on June 10 - the LEGO Group’s annual LEGO Play Day.
• Turning LEGO stores into playgrounds from June 10, with fun, anniversary-themed building activities for visitors and display areas for creations to be showcased
• Celebrating the role of play in the lives of world-renowned creatives such as Alicia Keys, Yotam Ottolenghi and Peggy Gou
• Inspiring families with exciting building challenges and a ‘What Brick Are You?’ quiz, available on LEGO.com, LEGO social media channels and LEGO Life
• Honouring awesome adult fans of LEGO by showing how they have never stopped playing, creating and inspiring us as a brand
• Bringing LEGO fans and families together for an exciting look behind-the-scenes of LEGO HQ with LEGO® CON on June 18
• Showcasing the way children can turn mundane moments into playful adventures, and provide inspiration to help their parents to do the same, as part of the LEGO Foundation’s #PlayPledge movement
• Collaborating with entertainment, art and design, music, fashion, sports and gaming partners to create playful spaces and experiences for communities around the world
• Recreating iconic LEGO models to provide hours of fun and nostalgia for the family with the LEGO Classic 90 Years of Play set. A further, anniversary exclusive set is also still to be revealed
• Inviting LEGOLAND guests in select parks* to ‘Play YOUR Way’ as they experience five different types of play activities and collect badges while exploring LEGOLAND
• And, helping fans of all ages experience a world of playful learning activities with 25 million LEGO bricks at LEGO House in Billund, the “Home of the Brick”.
The Importance of Play
The 90th Anniversary campaign reinforces the important role of play in helping children and families thrive today and in the future – the new LEGO Play Well 2022 study polled 55,000 parents and children in 30 countries and found almost all parents think play helps children develop lifelong skills like creativity (93%), communication (92%), problem-solving skills (92%), and confidence (91%). Play also makes the whole family happier, builds stronger family bonds and improves their wellbeing according to 95% of parents.
Julia Goldin, Chief Product and Marketing Officer, the LEGO Group, said: “Play has always been the cornerstone of humanity. It’s not only fun, but it’s crucial to helping children develop essential life skills, strengthening family bonds and building communities. But with competing pressures on the lives of parents and children, play is often deprioritised.
“To mark our 90th Anniversary this summer, we’re launching our largest ever celebration of play to inspire people around the world to play more; whatever their age, location or interests. We’re delighted to be joined by a host of the world’s most creative brands and personalities that are just as passionate as we are about play and reminding the world how easy, fun and beneficial it can be.”
The campaign was developed by the LEGO Group’s Global Brand Development team as part of the brand’s global brand platform ‘Rebuild the World’. The creative was developed in a close collaboration between the LEGO Agency and colleagues from across the LEGO entities including LEGOLAND, LEGO House, the LEGO Foundation and colleagues from LEGO stories and factories globally.
The fully integrated global campaign will run across a variety of channels including TV, digital, out of home, cinema (UK), e-commerce channels and in the retail stores in over 25 countries. It will also be supported by a series of local activations and playful events in markets where the LEGO Group has a presence.
Follow the hashtag #LEGO90years or visit LEGO.com/90-Years-Of-Play to find out more and join in the fun.
Notes to Editors
For more information, please contact email@example.com
*Selected LEGOLAND parks include: US: Florida, California, and New York, Denmark: Billund, UK: Windsor, Japan: Nagoya, Germany: Günzburg, Malaysia: Johor.
Brand Development Marketing Team: Vice President - Alero Dawn Akuya, Director - Kristofer Alan Crockett and Sr. Project Manager – Ellie Hartnell
The LEGO Agency
Vice President LEGO Agency: Nic Taylor
Head of Creation: Peter Johnson
Global Creative Lead: Lucas Reynoso Vizcaino
Global Creative Team: Martin Rathschau Bekkersgaard Nielsen, Jacob Knudsen, Carlos Ramas Santamaria
Global Sr. Communications Partner: Melanie Cumbo
Global Strategist Director: Sonal Jhuj
Global Sr. Project Manager: Preben Gregers Jespersen, Karin Viballe Andersen
Head of Production: Charlie Cooper Henniker
Senior Lead Producer: Uffe Bryld
Sr. Digital Content Manager: Kenneth Sanchez
External Partners for hero film
Directors: Oskar Bård
Production Company: Hobby Film
Executive Producer: Anna Bergström
Producer: Anna Bergström
Service Company: Chubby Unicorn
Executive Producer: Dace Siatkovska
Line Producer: Renate Barone
Production Manager: Helena Zakare
Cinematographer: Mart Ratassepp / Thodoris Zacharakis
Production Designer: Juris Zukovskis
Costume Designer: Anna Grenås / Liene Bite
Post Production: Hobby
Colourist: Lasse Marcussen, Cameo
Editor: Gatis Belgrudovs
Music Composer: Joel Hilme
Sound Design: Edward Björner
About the LEGO Group
The LEGO Group’s mission is to inspire and develop the builders of tomorrow through the power of play. The LEGO System in Play, with its foundation in LEGO bricks, allows children and fans to build and rebuild anything they can imagine.
The LEGO Group was founded in Billund, Denmark in 1932 by Ole Kirk Kristiansen, its name derived from the two Danish words Leg Godt, which mean “Play Well”.
Today, the LEGO Group remains a family-owned company headquartered in Billund. Its products are now sold in more than 130 countries worldwide. For more information: www.LEGO.com.
About the LEGO Play Well Study 2022
All findings from the report, unless otherwise referenced, were gathered from a total of 32,781 parents and 24,593 children aged 5 -12 through a 20 minute online quantitative survey conducted across 35 countries in early 2022. For a full list of countries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org