- The five-minute film is packed with easter eggs, allowing viewers to play along with visual assets on LEGO.com
- The film, directed by Ellen Kuras and starring Hollywood actor Jane Lynch and superstar Sun Li in the Chinese adaption, is part of the brand’s wider Play Is Your Superpower campaign, aiming to address the global deficit in play amongst children
- A cast of superpowered industry talent including Director Ellen Kuras and DOP Rachel Morrison assembled to create the epic film
- Campaign launches as a new global study discovered a global deficit in play, with one in three children globally spending less than three hours a week playing
- Play is a key fundamental part of every child’s growth, developing crucial life skills, or ‘superpowers’, that benefit them both now and in the future
Billund – September 21st 2023: The LEGO Group has today released its new Play Is Your Superpower campaign featuring the brand’s first ever fully playable brand film, which celebrates the heroes that can emerge in a world that has forgotten how to play.
The LEGO Group’s new Play Is Your Superpower campaign has been created to encourage adults to prioritise play for the children in their lives. It will run for four months with three key moments: the fall launch, World Play Day on 12th October and during the brand’s peak holiday season.
Assembling Superpowered Talent
The film stars Hollywood actor Jane Lynch as a work-obsessed CEO who becomes enlightened to the merits of play by seeing its impact through the eyes of six adventurous children. Each child brings a different passion and skill to a mission to spread play in a monotonous, structured workplace. Superstar actress Sun Li takes on the role of the CEO in an adaption for families in China. The film, produced in collaboration between the LEGO Group’s creative agency, Our LEGO Agency (OLA), and award-winning agency Droga5 Dublin, part of Accenture Song, takes viewers on a journey that highlights the power of play.
The film was directed by pioneering cinematographer, screenwriter and director Ellen Kuras, best known for her work on Academy Award winning Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.
Director of Photography is Rachel Morrison, one of the first female directors of photography for a big budget superhero movie, Black Panther.
Female led production company The Corner Shop along with Kuras worked with set designer and art director David Lee, whose credits include Star Wars and Batman Begins. Kuras also partnered with new Irish post-production and VFX company GABHA Studio to complete the superpower ensemble team behind the film that takes viewers on a fun-filled journey that highlights the power of play.
Celebrating the Power of Play
The campaign draws its insights from a recent global study finding that, on average, children are spending just 2% of their week (equivalent to 7 hours) playing, with one in three (32%) spending less than three hours each week enjoying play. Comparatively, the average adult spends 26 hours a week scrolling on their smartphone, an average of more than 3.5 hours per day1. This current play deficit is a cause for concern for experts given the crucial role of play in shaping a child's cognitive abilities, overall wellbeing and most importantly, in them having fun.
Julia Goldin, Chief Product and Marketing Officer at the LEGO Group, said: “For over 90 years, we have been a champion of children and their right to play. We believe play helps children develop skills like creativity, confidence and communication that helps them learn and thrive today and in the future. Our Rebuild the World platform has helped us celebrate the power of play since 2019 and we’re excited by the next iteration of the campaign to inspire people of all ages to reprioritise play in their lives.”
Nic Taylor, SVP and Head of Our LEGO Agency, said: “We knew we wanted to make a big statement around the power of play this year, so we designed a campaign that celebrates just this. The film showcases the endless possibilities for play that children see, in even the dullest of situations, and shows the difference play can make to the world as the children rebuild it for the better. Jane Lynch and Sun Li add to the playfulness of the film by revealing themselves as forward-thinkers who want to overthrow the norm and inject more play into their workplace.”
Jen Speirs, Chief Creative Officer, Droga5 Dublin, part of Accenture Song, said: “Our creative team were on a mission to develop a campaign idea that was big enough to flex across the three key moments from fall, right through to the holidays; and Play is Your Superpower is exactly that. Of course, the only way to launch an idea like this was with a brand film that mimics a true superhero epic and opens people’s eyes to the wonders of play, which has actual ways to play hidden inside. We’re proud to have created a piece that features a line-up of diverse young talent that will empower both kids and adults to approach life in a more playful way.”
The film is fully playable and packed with easter eggs, allowing viewers to play along and interact on LEGO.com and LEGO® Life app, where prompts on the site will encourage participation. Families will also be encouraged to transform themselves into minifigures like the characters in the film and join a global squad of passionate play advocates on LEGO.com.
As well as the hero film, the campaign will feature a series of playful outtakes and bloopers to bring moments of joy to families. The fully integrated global campaign will run across a variety of channels including TV, digital, out of home, cinema, PR, influencer, and e-commerce. The film will also come to life in LEGO stores globally with playable experiences that tie into the characters' mission from the hero film.
To launch the campaign, the LEGO Group has enlisted the help of a group of leading cultural figures who each attribute the skills developed through childhood play to helping make their dreams come true. The Play Squad, including Tan France, Naomi Watanabe, Bindi Irwin and Stephanie Beatriz, will share the unique superpowers that play has given them and why they believe it should be a priority for every child.
The LEGO Group and a range of playful digital creators will also be bringing play to unexpected places around the world and sharing inspiration on how to inject moments of playfulness into even the busiest of schedules ahead of, and on, World Play Day on 12th October 2023.
Notes to Editors
For more information, please contact email@example.com
About the research
All findings were gathered from a total of 21,180 parents of children aged 6 – 12 across 22 markets during August 2023.
About Jane Lynch
Jane Lynch is an American actress, comedian and author. She is best known for starring as Sue Sylvester in the musical comedy series Glee which earned her a Primetime Emmy Award. She has also been critically acclaimed for her roles in the series The Marvelous Mrs Maisel and films Role Models and Paul. In 2013 Lynch was honoured with star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame for her contribution to TV. Among her numerous accolades, Lynch has received five Primetime Emmy Awards, two Screen Actors Guild Awards, and a Golden Globe Award.
About Sun Li
Sun Li is a critically acclaimed Chinese actress. She is the youngest actress to win the “Grand Slam” after winning the three biggest television awards in China, the Flying Apsaras Awards, Golden Eagle Awards and the Magnolia Awards. She gained widespread recognition by playing Zhen Huan in historical drama, Empresses in the Palace in 2012. The episode series has also been widely acclaimed China and abroad for many years. She also participated a number of top-rated productions, including “Nothing Gold Can Stay” and “The Ideal City".
Our LEGO Agency
- SVP and Head of Agency: Nicole Taylor
- Global Creative Leads: Hazel Tracey & Guy Bingham
- Global Brand Communication Lead: Dan Worrell
- Sr. Global Communication Partners: Simran Khaira and Lino Fortes
- Global Brand Strategist: Rebecca Price
- Global Communication Strategist: Richard Yardley
- Sr. Social Strategist: Natalie Williams
- Sr. Global Project Manager: Kenneth Sanchez
- Head of Production: Uffe Bryld
- Sr. Lead Producer: Elaine Lee
- Brand Global Marketing Development Team: Alero Akuya, Lisa Nash, Kristofer Crockett, Jasmin Brennan, Rebecca Dover.
- Creative Agency: Droga5 Dublin, part of Accenture Song
- Managing Director: Jimi McGrath
- Chief Creative Officer: Jen Speirs
- Chief Strategy Officer: Emma Sharkey
- Head of Production: Jessica Bermingham
- Creative Directors: Stephen Rogers & Edward Redgrave
- Senior Art Director: Lucas Oliviera
- Senior Copywriter: Anthony Ortuso
- Copywriters: Emmet Heneghan & Ruby Norman-Curran
- Senior Strategist: Lorna Tutty
- Group Account Director: Sam MacDonnell
- Client Operations Lead: Caitriona Coakley
- Account Director: Luiza Boerescu
- Senior Account Managers: Lisa Haran & Rian McCarthy
- Account Manager: Catherine Coffey
- Senior Project Manager: Simon Ball
- Executive Producer: David Lynch
- Senior Producers: Karina Cotter & Aisling O’Dwyer
- Producer: Siobhan Coakley
- Creative Build: Evan Greally & TJ Ryan
- Business Affairs Director: Christina McGuckian
- Production Company: The Corner Shop
- Director: Ellen Kuras
- Founder/ Executive Producer: Anna Hashmi
- Executive Producer/Producer: Tess Mitchell
- Executive Producer: Sara Wallace
- DoP: Rachel Morrison
- Production Manager: Sima Kutsenko
- Production Designer: David Lee
- 1st AD: Shakir Hafoudh
- Service Production Company: Unit & Sofa
- Executive Producer: Fady Salame, Martin Sobotka & Veronika Hajkova
- Line Producer: Jan Hlvasa
- Production Manager: Robert Zapletal & Klara Botlikova
- Casting UK: Kharmel Cochrane Casting
- Casting Canada: Ground Class Casting & Mann Casting
- Editorial Company: Union Editorial
- Editor: Marco Perez
- Assistant Editor: Joshua Sampson
- Post Production: Gabha Studios
- VFX Supervisor & Creative Director: Daniel Morris
- On set VFX Supervisors: Daniel Morris & Jan Huebel
- Executive Producer: Dafydd Upsdell
- Colourist: Andy Francis
- CG: GABHA & Rohtau
- Rohtau Executive Creative Director: Jordi Bares
- Rohtau Creative Director: Dragos Stefan
- Rohtau Executive Producer: Josh King
- Rohtau Senior Producer: Julie Nixon
- Audio Post Production: String and Tins
- Music and Composition Arrangement: Joseph Alexander
- Additional Music Composition and Production: Jim Stewart
- Sound Designers: Will Cohen, Jim Stewart
- Foley: Earthsound
About Our LEGO Agency
Our LEGO Agency is a 400 people strong, fully integrated in-house agency, supporting LEGO Group campaigns and embedding creativity into the heart of the brand and its product. The agency currently has five global offices, headquartered in Billund, Denmark, with regional hubs in Enfield, US; London, UK; Shanghai, China; and Singapore. The team is led by Senior Vice President and Agency lead, Nic Taylor.
About Droga5 Dublin, part of Accenture Song
Droga5 Dublin believes that the path to world-class work is through rigorous creative strategy that has clear and measurable objectives and is rooted in brand purpose. From product innovation to performance marketing, they believe that all their work needs to work in concert to connect every element at every phase of the customer journey. Droga5 Dublin strives to create work that adds value to people’s lives, not noise. They believe that our industry needs to be transformed to create things people actually want and welcome.
About the LEGO Group
The LEGO Group’s mission is to inspire and develop the builders of tomorrow through the power of play. The LEGO System in Play, with its foundation in LEGO bricks, allows children and fans to build and rebuild anything they can imagine.
The LEGO Group was founded in Billund, Denmark in 1932 by Ole Kirk Kristiansen, its name derived from the two Danish words Leg Godt, which mean “Play Well”. Today, the LEGO Group remains a family-owned company headquartered in Billund. Its products are now sold in more than 130 countries worldwide. For more information: www.LEGO.com