• New LEGO Icons PAC-MAN Arcade set is a detailed recreation of the classic 80’s arcade game
• New LEGO set is announced on the same day the original game was revealed in 1980 and includes large colourful brick versions of PAC-MAN, BLINKY and CLYDE
• Collaboration between Bandai Namco and the LEGO Group revealed that PAC-MAN’s famous yellow colour was inspired by the LEGO Group’s signature colour
Billund, May 22nd, 2023: The LEGO Group and Bandai Namco are celebrating the 43rd anniversary of PAC-MAN with the reveal of the new vintage LEGO® ICONS PAC-MAN Arcade set - one of the most famous and nostalgic arcade games of all time.
Originally released on May 22, 1980, by Bandai Namco Entertainment Inc. (previously Namco) in Japan, the PAC-MAN video game became a cultural icon. After 40 years of being a part of pop culture worldwide through games, TV shows, music and more, the LEGO Group has collaborated with Bandai Namco to bring the 80s classic back in brick form. This collaboration led to the unique discovery that PAC-MAN's famous yellow colour was inspired by the LEGO Group's signature colour.
The new LEGO set design shows an arcade version of PAC-MAN and allows you to recreate some of the legendary ghost munching moves of the game. In addition, builders can create large colourful brick versions of PAC-MAN, BLINKY and CLYDE that rotate on a base, and can be displayed on top of the cabinet or separately.
Once complete – you can light up the coin-slot, plus there is a small vignette of a female minifigure playing PAC-MAN on an arcade, hidden inside of the cabinet.
PAC-MAN FUN FACTS:
• On May 22nd 1980, the first focus test was held for PAC-MAN, where members of the public got to see the yellow character for the first time.
• PAC-MAN is yellow, as designer Mr. Iwatani was inspired by the iconic yellow of the LEGO brick.
• The character shape is based on a pizza with a slice missing.
• The game was released in Japan on June 29, 1980 – before being made available in the rest of the world.
• A PAC-MAN cartoon hit appeared on TV screens in the 80s.
• Buckner & Garcia released the hit single "PAC-MAN Fever", which went as high as 9th place on Billboard's Hot 100 chart in March 1982.
• In 1993, Billy Mitchell of Florida became the first person to ever achieve the game's perfect score of 3,333,360 points. In order to achieve a perfect score, the player would have to clear all 256 stages without a single miss, and consume all PAC-DOTs, fruits, and ghosts (consume 4 ghosts with each POWER PELLET).
• In recognition of PAC-MAN's 1980 release, where it installed 293,822 arcade units within 7 years, the Guinness World Records acknowledged the game as the "Most Successful Coin-Operated Game" in the world.
Describing the process of designing the new set, Sven Franic, LEGO Designer comments: “A cultural icon for the past 40 years, it was a delight to bring PAC-MAN to brick life. We are always looking for new and exciting ways to bring classic gaming experiences to life. Our team of talented designers worked tirelessly to capture the essence of the beloved PAC-MAN arcade machine in brick form, from PAC-MAN himself to the colourful, maze-like environment he inhabits. Every detail was carefully considered and crafted, resulting in a one-of-a-kind LEGO creation that captures the magic of the original game while adding a playful new twist and a couple of Easter eggs – in true video game style. We are thrilled to share this incredible build with the world and cannot wait to see the joy it brings to fans of all ages.”
Adding on the collaboration, Aadil Tayouga, Director of Licensing and Business Strategy at Bandai Namco Europe says: “Bandai Namco and the LEGO group share a lot of common values, notably aiming at providing fun for all people through quality products. In addition to these values, since PAC-MAN yellow was actually inspired by the LEGO Group yellow, it made the connection even more natural. It has been a tremendous collaboration with the passionate teams at the LEGO Group and we hope that fans will enjoy this kit.”
LEGO VIP members will have early access to purchase the LEGO PAC-MAN Arcade set from 1st June 2023 from LEGO.com/PAC-MAN and LEGO Stores, or available to all from 4th June 2023 at the recommended retail price of $269.99 / €269.99 / £229.99.
Notes to Editors
FURTHER PRODUCT INFO: LEGO® PAC-MAN Arcade Machine Set (SKU: 10323)
• Age – 18+
• The model measures: 12.5 in. (32 cm) high, 10 in. (25 cm) wide and 7 in. (17 cm) deep
• 2,650 pieces
• Price: $269.99 / €269.99 / £229.99
• Key functions and features include:
- 3 iconic PAC-MAN figures.
- 1 light- brick that lights up the area where you insert the coin.
- A small vignette of minifigure (female) playing PAC-MAN on an Arcade hidden inside of the cabinet.
About the LEGO Group
The LEGO Group’s mission is to inspire and develop the builders of tomorrow through the power of play. The LEGO System in Play, with its foundation in LEGO bricks, allows children and fans to build and rebuild anything they can imagine.
The LEGO Group was founded in Billund, Denmark in 1932 by Ole Kirk Kristiansen, its name derived from the two Danish words LEg GOdt, which mean “Play Well”. Today, the LEGO Group remains a family-owned company headquartered in Billund. However, its products are now sold in more than 130 countries worldwide.
For more news from the LEGO Group, information about our financial performance and responsibility engagement, please visit www.LEGO.com/aboutus.
About Bandai Namco Europe S.A.S.
Bandai Namco Europe S.A.S. is a leading global publisher and developer of entertainment content for platforms including, but not limited to, all major video game consoles and PC.
Bandai Namco Europe is producing intellectual property for a global audience and is building its reputation with franchises such as LITTLE NIGHTMARES™, PARK BEYOND™, and the upcoming UNKNOWN 9™ Awakening - developed by the recently acquired Reflector Entertainment based in Montreal, QC.
Bandai Namco Europe serves as the Headquarters of Bandai Namco Holdings Inc. for mainland Europe, which is known for creating and publishing many of the Toy & Entertainment industry’s top franchises, including PAC-MAN™, TAMAGOTCHI™, GUNDAM™, TEKKEN™, DARK SOULS™ and the recently released ELDEN RING™.
For more information please visit www.bandainamcoent.eu.
About Bandai Namco Entertainment America Inc.
Bandai Namco Entertainment America Inc., part of the Bandai Namco Group, is a leading global publisher and developer of interactive entertainment for major video game consoles, PC, online, and mobile platforms. The company is known for creating many of the industry’s beloved classic franchises such as PAC-MAN®, GALAGA®, TEKKEN®, SOULCALIBUR®, and ACE COMBAT®, and publishing the critically acclaimed DARK SOULS™ series and the blockbuster title ELDEN RING™. Bandai Namco Entertainment America Inc. is also the premier publisher in the Western hemisphere for anime-based video games including GUNDAM™, NARUTO SHIPPUDEN™, DRAGON BALL™, and ONE PIECE®. Bandai Namco Entertainment America Inc. is headquartered in Irvine, California. More information about the company and its products can be found at www.bandainamcoent.com.
PAC-MAN™& ©Bandai Namco Entertainment Inc.