Step into the dream world with LEGO® DREAMZzz™, the first theme from the LEGO Group to be truly inspired by the way children dream, after research finds two in three children globally say dreaming helps them be more creative.
LEGO® DREAMZzz™ launches worldwide on May 15th, with new content episodes airing globally, and more exciting episodes and products to follow in August.
The LEGO Group is also launching a world-first opportunity to appoint a group of children as its first ever Chief Dream Creators, who will use the creativity and imagination of their dreams to inspire the company
Billund, Denmark - May 2nd 2023: The LEGO Group has today revealed LEGO® DREAMZzz™, an all-new theme that brings to life the creativity of children’s dreams through an epic new content series and product range.
New global research of over 23,000 children has found seven in 10 (69%) are experiencing complex emotions, such as stress or loneliness, in their day-to-day lives, with one in four (24%) citing events in the world or on social media as causes. However, sleep experts flag that dreams can play a key role in helping children process complex emotions and engage their imaginations. Children surveyed agree, with two thirds reporting that dreams are important and help them be more creative during the day (68%).
This passion for creativity has been brought to life in LEGO® DREAMZzz™, with the LEGO Group road-testing the content and toys with thousands of children from across the globe ahead of the new TV show launching May 15th. The launch will be followed by an accompanying product range, creating an incredible entertainment and play experience that puts children in the imagination-powered driving seat.
Step Into the Dream World: Introducing LEGO® DREAMZzz™
The LEGO® DREAMZzz™ series follows the adventures of school friends, Mateo, Izzie, Cooper, Logan and Zoey, as they join a secret agency and learn to use the power of imagination to journey into the Dream World – and learn to defeat the tyrannical Nightmare King!
LEGO® DREAMZzz™ will launch with 10 episodes on May 15th and be accompanied by a brand-new product range and further episodes from August 2023.
“LEGO® DREAMZzz™ is our very first concept that celebrates the wondrous world of dreaming and explores what happens when dreams become real, ordinary kids become extraordinary and creativity is a superpower!” said Cerim Manovi, Creative Director for LEGO® DREAMZzz™. “We want children to feel empowered to bring their wildest dreams to life and revel in the true force of their creative imaginations while dreaming – and this is just the beginning!”
Global Research Shows Importance of Dreaming for Creativity
LEGO® DREAMZzz™ was developed by the LEGO Group alongside in-depth global research of children aged 6-12 years old from 29 different countries. The survey looked at children’s imaginations, the psychology of dreams and their importance in processing emotions, problem-solving and the importance of play for creative experimentation.
The research revealed of those experiencing complex emotions, such as stress or loneliness, almost one in five (22%) report having more nightmares as a result. More than half of children (55%) say nightmares affect the rest of their day, including school, where the dream and real-worlds can evidently collide.
In fact, 63% report that the time they spend playing impacts their dreams. Most children (86%) experience positive emotions whilst dreaming, with many reporting they benefit from the after-effects once they’re awake. Around two thirds (68%) of children saying that happy dreams help them to be more creative in the daytime and almost the same amount (64%) think of ideas for when they’re awake.
Working with the LEGO Group on the research, psychologist and behavioural sleep expert Dr Shelby Harris, said; “Kids are natural dreamers and experimenters but as they get older, societal pressures begin to confine them and limit their imaginations. Dreaming is a universal phenomenon generally welcomed by children across the globe. With more stress and demands in their daily lives, encouraging free play and creativity is important in today's world. The research has clearly shown that kids that have access to free play time increases their frequency of dreams and as a result makes them feel happier and more imaginative. It’s great to see content like LEGO® DREAMZzz™, which shows kids how the stuff of our dreams can be used in the real world to help them reach their full creative potential.”
Apply Now: Join the LEGO Group’s Team Of Chief Dream Creators!
To celebrate the launch of LEGO® DREAMZzz™, the LEGO Group will launch a world-first opportunity for children to become a Chief Dream Creator. The chosen participants will be flown to Denmark, home of the LEGO Group, to take part in several LEGO® DREAMZzz™ workshops.
As a Chief Dream Creator, the children’s role will be to champion the creativity of dreams within the company and spread the positive creative aspects dreaming can have for young people around the world.
Children aged between 6-12 years old will be encouraged to submit their own dream creation – a picture of either a LEGO build they’ve made themselves or a drawing – showing a creature or vehicle they have dreamt of that incorporates brick building. Their dream creation should be accompanied by a short description relaying what their creation is called, what it can do, and why it excited them in their dream.
Entry officially opens on May 20th to June 20th, and more information can be found at LEGO.com/dreamzzz.
Join the Fun
The LEGO Group will be celebrating the launch of LEGO® DREAMZzz™ with a range of global activities designed to champion the creativity of dreaming. These activities include:
- Launching three 3D billboards in Tokyo, New York and London, each featuring a distinct creature from the dreamworld that is escaping into the respective city.
- Inviting children on a 'Dream Creature Hunt' across LEGO stores, website, LEGOLAND® and a special edition of the LEGO Life Magazine, where they can look for – and share – their found Dream Creatures to win a badge and rewards in the LEGO Life app between May and August.
- LEGOLAND® Parks and LEGOLAND® Discovery Centers invites guests to enter the world of their wildest dreams with the launch of their new and exclusive LEGO® DREAMZzz™ 4D movie and events1. Take part in the fun activities at LEGOLAND® including everything from build activities, give-aways, photo opportunities, 4D movie and much more.
- Look out for the special themed edition of the free LEGO Life Magazine in July featuring a LEGO® DREAMZzz™ themed front cover, fun activities and a poster.
- A 16-page LEGO® DREAMZzz™ comic will also be available throughout the summer as insert in the many different LEGO Magazines, including the free LEGO Life Magazine, in select LEGO stores, and in select LEGOLAND® Parks and LEGOLAND® Discovery Centers. Later in the year, a range of activity and fiction books as well as a bi-monthly LEGO® DREAMZzz™ magazine will also be offered to curious readers.
- On May 15th, we’ll launch six new LEGO® DREAMZzz™ Non-Player Characters (NPCs) in the LEGO Life app. The NPCs will share activities that upskill and challenge children. Plus, with the support of our Community Engagement teams, the NPCs will also post comments to hundreds of children’s uploads every day to inspire them whilst exploring the new LEGO® DREAMZzz™ world.
- On top of being able to watch the full episodes and heaps of additional spin-off content for free on the new lego.com/kids streaming platform children will also be able to explore an immersive experience where they can learn more about characters and explore the different dream realms.
Notes to Editors
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
LEGO® DREAMZzz™ Products
- 71453 - Izzie and Bunchu the Bunny (€/$20.99, £18.99)
- 71454 - Mateo and Z-Blob the Robot (€/$20.99, £18.99)
- 71455 - Grimkeeper the Cage Monster (€/$37.99, £31.99)
- 71456 - Mrs. Castillo’s Turtle Van (€/$47.99, £42.99)
- 71457 - Pegasus Flying Horse (€/$52.99, £46.99)
- 71458 - Crocodile Car (€/$62.99, £57.99)
- 71459 - Stable of Dream Creatures (€/$84.99, £74.99)
- 71460 - Mr. Oz’s Spacebus (€/$99.99, £84.99)
- 71461 - Fantastical Tree House (€/$104.99, £94.99)
- 71469 - Nightmare Shark Ship (€/$139.99, £119.99)
About the 'Dreams Research’ 2023:
Dreams Research was conducted by Opinium Research amongst 23,000 children aged 6-12 in US, UK & IRE, France, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Spain, Italy, Denmark, Czech Republic, Poland, Hungary, Czech Republic, Türkiye, Romania, United Arab Emirates, Australia, South Korea, Japan, China's mainland / Hong Kong SAR, China / Taiwan Region, China, Singapore, Malaysia, Mexico, Canada, Brazil, Belgium, Netherlands, Sweden and Portugal.
About the Chief Dream Creators:
Contest open to residents of selected countries. Contest opens May 20, and closes on June 20. More information and full contest details are available at LEGO.com/dreamzzz once the competition opens on May 20.
About the LEGO Group:
The LEGO Group’s mission is to inspire and develop the builders of tomorrow through the power of play. The LEGO System in Play, with its foundation in LEGO bricks, allows children and fans to build and rebuild anything they can imagine. The LEGO Group was founded in Billund, Denmark in 1932 by Ole Kirk Kristiansen, its name derived from the two Danish words Leg Godt, which mean “Play Well”. Today, the LEGO Group remains a family-owned company headquartered in Billund. Its products are now sold in more than 130 countries worldwide.
For more information: www.LEGO.com