Model Builder, maternity cover
Product Design/ Development
Are you known for your creative ideas and your systematric approach to design, and are you able to transform your creative thoughts into concepts and LEGO® Brick models that work in a preschool and K-2 classroom settings?At LEGO® Education, we inspire future generations to learn through play - and this is your opportunity to see your ideas come to life in classrooms and preschools across the globe.Bring amazing learning concepts into the real world and make young children love to learn through play. You will join The Early Learning team in “Solution & Product Development” within LEGO Education where we deliver playful learning experiences for preschool up to high school.
Core ResponsibilitiesIn close collaboration with our concept designer as well as our digital experience managers and educational content specialists and marketing managers, your primary responsibility will be to build, design and deliver LEGO model concepts and final models for learning experiences with the inclusion of physical and digital solution components.
The Model Designer delivers model concepts/solutions for learning experiences according to functional needs based on briefings from Concept Lead managers, Educational Content Specialist, and Marketing Managers.
You take a holistic and insights-based approach as you:
• Design, build and implement LEGO Education models primarily for the LEGO® DUPLO® and LEGO SYSTEM platform
• Secure model functionality in relation to potential mechatronic and electronic elements
• Define the best combination of bricks needed in a new product and ensure BOM delivery
• Design new elements with focus on model aesthetics, safety and functionality
• Manage delivery of Building Inspirations Cards and ensure model reviews according to established processes
• Follow the direction for processes around the development and maintenance of model design, LEGO Elements and LEGO mechatronics
• Get involved at an early stage in projects from LEGO Education’s Front End to ensure seamless and timely hand-over
This role will take you travelling approximately 10 days a year, visiting schools and teachers primarily within Denmark and the US .
• Design and build models according to functional area needs
• Understand consumer needs
• Ensure BOM delivery
• Uphold the safety regulation around models and model functional
• Ensure model reviews according to TLG /design lab processes.
• Follow instructions and time planning for delivery in accordance with the guidance set by the manager or the core team
• Prove creativity within area of delivery
• Take over FEI projects
TLG Element Platform:
• Work within the active elements used in the LEGO Play system (Elements)
• Suggest new solutions when elements are changed within the LEGO Play system
• Relate physical design to digital solutions and hardware
Building Instruction / surveys:
• Manage delivery of BI from TLG BI
• Ensure delivery of element surveys from TLG
• Cooperating with LEGO Model-quality to secure alignment with the LEGO principles
• Participate in model reviews
• Delivery of BI to core group
• Deliver models for the “GO to market” phase of the development process
• Communicate the posibilities within the scope of the project
• Ensure model delivers to brief from core team
• Collaborate with Educational specialist, concept designers and DX managers
• Networking with relevant design departments in TLG
• Assist the design team where needed and bring creative thinking to other portfolios
Play your part in our team succeedingHelping every student to succeed at LEGO Education, you contribute to our quest to give children the best possible education and learning experiences. Our goal is to deliver high-impact innovative concept for learning through play with a focus on interlinking education with the physical and digital LEGO experience where relevant. Through our focus on science, technology, engineering, arts and math (STEAM), we want to enable every student to succeed.
Here, you get to enrich the lives of young children globally as you help create active, collaborative and lifelong learners. You become part of an international community of dedicated passionate colleagues who take pride in our day-to-day work to create ways for children to learn and unfold their potential.
Do you have what it takes?• Proven experience with design and creative thinking.
• Experience with the development process of new designs.
• Have a degree in design
• 2+ years of experience with industrial design, prototyping and creative thinking
Apart for design experience, you have great collaboration skills and a playful mind.
You have an innate ability to be highly creative and think conceptually. You think in structures and you understand that what you do is part of a wider leaning system. You understand technology and the purpose of coding on an intuitive level. You strive to look beyond models and have a natural drive to make models work together with content and digital components. Finally, you are not “knocked over” by disruption and you can turn a potentially negative angle into a positive momentum.
You love interacting with users and fellow concept makers, bringing ideas to life and delivering models based on the directions of and exchange of ideas with other subject experts.
• General IT skills. incl. Microsoft office.
• Knowledge with Photoshop, Illustrator and 3D programs
• It is an advantage if you have experience with or knowledge about the educational industry, but not a must
• Ability to travel approximately 10 days per year if needed
• You have excellent communication skills, and you speak and write English fluently
Join the global LEGO® family
The LEGO® Group recruits and develops people entirely on merit. If you are confident you have what it takes to succeed in this role – and you share our commitment to creativity, collaboration, and quality – use the APPLY NOW button above or below. Please remember to attach your application and current CV.
Bringing it to life
"This is the perfect position if you have an innate ability to be highly creative and think conceptually through LEGO Models. And if giving young children the best start to their learning journey strongly appeals to you. You will be part of an amazing and passionate team and not least play a key role in igniting young children’s curiosity and imagination, giving them skills to turn this into creativity and love of learning through play” says Head of the Early Learning team, Trine Thrane.