Today The LEGO Group, one of the world’s leading manufacturers of play materials, has officially opened its new UK flagship store in central London’s popular tourist hot-spot, Leicester Square.
The Leicester Square store is the 131st LEGO Brand Retail store globally and is pushing the boundaries with many unique LEGO® firsts. The largest LEGO store in the world boasts exciting new experiences, such as a ‘Mosaic Maker’, which offers LEGO fans of all ages the opportunity to purchase their very own, one of a kind, personalised LEGO mosaic portrait. The machine captures your image and in under ten minutes, printed instructions and the bricks required to complete the LEGO portrait are supplied to the customer. The London store is the first in the world to make this unique experience available.
John Goodwin, Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer of the LEGO Group said:
“We are excited to have finally opened the doors to the world’s largest LEGO store here in London. We want to inspire and develop children through creative play experiences – and this store is all about that. Here, parents and children can explore the many different LEGO products while at the same time getting a truly immersive experience of the LEGO brand.”
Inspiring creativity and developing the builders of tomorrow is a central theme for the store and this is encouraged with unique hands-on interactive brick experiences. These include ‘Master Builder Playtables’, where children will be free to build whatever they can imagine - inspired by iconic London landmarks and a range of exciting LEGO themes.
There will also be a timetable, when Certified LEGO Master Builders will visit the store sharing tips and tricks to help visitors build LEGO models and help inspire children to think outside the box when building their creations.
Through a partnership with Transport for London LEGO has created a life-sized London Underground tube carriage. The tube is the largest LEGO build in the store, made up of 637,903 bricks and it took 3,399 hours to build. The carriage offers fun photo opportunities and will be a must see for all the family.
Other highlights within the new London LEGO Store include:
• Build a Minifigure Tower with Talking LEGO Minifigures – includes four different talking LEGO Minifigures including Lester, Royal Guard, Bobby the Policeman and Sherlock Holmes;
• LEGO Minifigure Scanner – an interactive experience available from outside the store where people can find out which LEGO Minifigure they are;
• Digital window display - state of the art screens that will show LEGO movies and clips;
• Lester’s room housing a model of store mascot Lester for photo opportunities both inside and outside the store;
• Brickadilly corner – an interactive information centre informing shoppers including instore event schedules and highlighting retail experiences within the store;
• Digital endless isle – a digital experience allowing shoppers to browse a digital catalogue of all LEGO sets available in store. It also calls for assistance by sending a message to the smart watches of store staff.
“Our LEGO® Brand Retail stores are a lighthouse for the LEGO brand and an inspirational shopping channel for LEGO products. We offer a unique brand experience and supplement the combined offer for consumers alongside our trusted retail partners and online retailers. The new Leicester Square store is the 14th LEGO Store in the UK,” says Glenn Abell, Vice President and General Manager, Direct-to-Consumer EMEA.