Billund, September 18, 2023: Today, as leaders of the world are convening at the UN General Assembly in New York LEGO Group CEO Niels B. Christiansen has joined CEOs from 26 Danish businesses, to support UN Secretary-General Guterres’ call for ambitious and credible commitments and clear and transparent plans to “rescue the SDGs”.
The LEGO Group is committed to playing its part in building a better planet for our children to inherit. In August 2023, the company pledged to work with the Science Based Targets initiative to achieve net-zero greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions (Scope 1, 2 and 3 emissions) by 2050.
The pledge is an extension of its existing near-term climate target to reduce GHG emissions by 37% by 2032 from a 2019 base, which was previously approved by the SBTi.
A Carbon KPI, which will be tied to executive remuneration from 2024, will track progress towards carbon omissions and science-based targets.
To meet this ambition, the company has recently announced its plans to triple investment in environmental sustainability over the next three years, particularly in areas that will help reduce GHG emissions, spending more than $1.4 billion on sustainability-related activities.
- Designing buildings and sites to be carbon neutral run.
- Increasing capacity and production of renewable energy at our site, including factories, offices, and stores.
- Taking CO2 emissions into account across all business decisions, including implementing a Carbon KPI which will be tied to our executive remuneration from 2024.
- Joining forces with suppliers to collectively reduce environmental impact.
The CEO statement represents a unified commitment to global sustainability, advocating for concrete and measurable actions, transparency, and global public-private collaboration. In the statement, 27 CEOs
- reaffirm their commitment to the UN Global Compact Network, the SDGs, and the principles of the Paris Agreement,
- outline actions they commit to undertake to meet net-zero targets,
- address the importance of ensuring a just transition,
- give recommendations for how governments across the world can enable a faster green business transformation
- call upon Danish regulators and policymakers to support their efforts, level the playing field, and incentivize sustainable choices in continued public-private solid partnerships.
At the LEGO Group, we firmly believe in the power of collaboration. As we move forward with clear actions and targets towards a more sustainable future, we remain committed to working with world leaders, our peers in the private sector, and others to accelerate efforts on climate action.
Read the full CEO statement: CEO Statement from Danish Businesses
Learn more about our recent Net Zero announcement: The LEGO Group pledges to achieve net-zero emissions by 2050
Read more about the LEGO Groups actions on climate action: Climate action in action
Get the latest updates on our environmental activities: Sustainability at the LEGO Group