Monitoring, Evaluation and Research Manage
South Africa, Gauteng
Do you have knowledge of children’s development processes and the local academic sector in South Africa?And would you like to use your knowledge and skills to directly influence children’s development and learning experiences and establish the LEGO Foundation as a credible source of information?
Are you ready to contribute to make a vision come to life?The LEGO Foundation shares a mission with the LEGO Group: to inspire and develop the builders of tomorrow. We are a Danish corporate foundation with a core team of dedicated employees with one shared passion: to make children’s lives better – and communities stronger – by making sure the fundamental value of play is understood, embraced and acted upon. We are dedicated to building a future where learning through play empowers children to become creative, engaged, lifelong learners.
Join a team in the makingSince 2009, the LEGO Foundation has worked with local partners to launch Learning Through Play initiatives in South Africa. Now, we are establishing a local team to better support our projects and partners, and to maximise our long-term impact. To accomplish this, we need to strengthen the evidence around learning through play by documenting and sharing key lessons within the organisation, as well as with teachers, parents, NGOs and government officials.
For this, the successful candidate will be responsible for overseeing all the research, monitoring and evaluation work in the South African initiative. This includes for instance, managing third party service providers in conducting various studies on the impact of learning through play. Whilst these studies will be conducted by a third party, the Monitoring, Evaluation and Research Manager will manage the partnerships or service providers.
Alignment between studies that will be implemented within the South African programme is a key role within this position. At the same time, the successful candidate will be responsible for engaging with local academics and researchers across various universities and non-academic entities to build a network of specialists to support our work. Finally, as the LEGO Foundation works with many universities and researchers around the world, the successful candidate will work with the LEGO Foundation’s research team (LEGO Foundation Centre LFC) and the MEL team based in Billund Denmark to ensure Foundation level alignment.
The manager will also be responsible for working with partners and service providers to report annual reach figures for the South African programme.
Make us a credible voice in South AfricaYou will oversee all research, monitoring and evaluation of our Learning Through Play initiatives and work to ensure that captured data is used in meaningful ways to prove that play has a critical role in children’s learning and development. Lastly, the manager will be responsible for documenting and sharing key lessons from South Africa that can be shared within the Foundation, as well as across partners.
Your key tasks and activities:
• Develop, execute and manage a research agenda for SA initiative
• Map the academic/research field in South Africa to find, engage with and maintain connections with local academic stakeholders and non-academic entities and build a network of specialists to support our work
• Be responsible for weekly operational work with the partner, support and guidance needed to run the various studies, and ensure alignment with the broader South African initiative.
• Gather relevant research for the South African context from academic partners on learning through play and eventually help coordinate development of new research with academic partners
• Be responsible for ensuring oversight, management, coordination and alignment between these studies, service providers and partners.
• Support research interactions with academic partners and other academic parties, such with international academics, when relevant to the South Africa Initiative
• Work closely with Lego Foundation teams and research partners to support and integrate Lego Foundation research and international expertise into work in SA and document research publications as part of LF databases.
• Manage and convene an academic advisory committee to guide our work in South Africa
• Manage high-level and relevant partner relationship in relation to advocacy or research and MEL activities, including government
• Ensure alignment and synergy between research and evaluations being conducted within the South African programme
Experienced research background
To succeed in this position, you need to be a good listener and able to work with many different external stakeholders and colleagues within South Africa and abroad. But most importantly, you are a passionate believer in play and its benefit for children’s development and learning.
• Have a background master’s degree-level in education, pedagogy, psychology, social sciences, early childhood development or teaching and training in qualitative or mixed-methods research approaches
• Have 5+ years of experience in supporting interventions in early childhood or education
• Background/experience in developmental psychology, social sciences, early childhood development or teacher education
• Training in quantitative, qualitative and/or mixed methods of research and MEL approaches with knowledge about educational assessments.
• Experience in play-based interventions and their role in supporting development of holistic skills among children.
• Will be required to travel internationally and domestically
• Are experienced in finding and communicating research examples and studies, facilitating advisory committees and tackling complex results frameworks and research questions
• Communicate fluently in English
• Work internationally and having lived abroad desirable
Embark with us on our journeyIf you would like to join our team in Johannesburg, South Africa to embark with us on our journey, then please send us your complete application, including your CV and a short motivation letter in English.
• This position was posted Mid-May
• We review applications as of June
• We take candidates into the recruitment process continuously and fill the position once we have found the right candidate.
• We start with the interviews at the end of June.
To apply, click on the following link: http://recruitmentsystem.onerecruit.com/6158724D575