Did you know there are 17 different species of hedgehog? Well, there were 17, because now that we’ve added this little guy, there are 18. It’s easy to build a LEGO® DUPLO® hedgehog with your children. Just follow the instructions in these pictures. You can add as many of your own species as you have bricks for, so they can keep each other company. Just don’t release them into the wild.
Does your child ask a lot of questions about animals? When you’re building and playing with DUPLO animals, it’s a great opportunity to talk with your child about how real life animals live. So here are a few more fun facts about hedgehogs to satisfy your curious student of nocturnal animals:
- Hedgehogs have between 5,000 and 6,000 spines
- A hedgehog rolls into a ball to defend itself against threats
- Hedgehog babies are called hoglets.
- They sleep in their nests for most of the day and come out to eat at night
- They mostly eat insects and snails
- They can live up to 4-7 years
- Their eyesight is poor, but they have a strong sense of hearing and smell.
What will your child’s new hedgehog species look like?