- LEGO® Pirates
- LEGO® Pirates Chess Set
LEGO® Pirates Chess Set
Arrr, there be a Pirates Chess Set off the port bow! Build the fun beach-themed board, assemble the 32 colorful, brick-built playing pieces, and start learning this classic strategy game with your friends and family! This fun set includes pirates and Bluecoats, which you can easily move around the board. Now hoist the mainsail and get ready for victory, me hearties! Set includes 20 minifigures with assorted weapons and accessories.
- Set includes 20 minifigures with assorted weapons and accessories
- Features 32 playing pieces, brick-built chess board and beach-theme styling
- Multi-purpose brick separator included
- A fun way to learn this classic game
- Chess has never been so fun!
- Play pirates vs Bluecoats!
- Board measures over 14” (38cm) long and 9” (25cm) wide
- April 14th, 2015Average rating5out of 5 stars5.0Pirates and Chess!I would recommend this to a friend!Purchased for: SelfWhat a fun set. Great collection of Minifigures, and a truly awesome build. While I haven't played chess in over a decade, I couldn't pass this set up. The biggest features to me where: - $$ Price is great for this many pieces - Minifigures, you get a ton for this price point. While most are duplicates, it's still a nice collection - Board design. I especially love how the set all stacks up vertically to save space. To me this was the selling feature! No cons that I can think of, it's a fun set, that looks great!Play Experience4.0Level of Difficulty2.0Value for Money5.0Build Time: 2 hrsBuilding Experience: Expert LEGO builderWas this helpful?55LEGO® Pirates Chess Set
- March 14th, 2015Average rating3out of 5 stars3.0A Beautiful Set with some Glaring FlawsI would recommend this to a friend!Purchased for: DaughterThis is a beautiful set with many pleasing elements. The addition of the scenery elements (and modular to boot!) is much welcomed innovation compared to previous LEGO chess sets and greatly enhances play value, especially for younger kids who may be just learning about chess for the first time. The storage compartments are another outstanding addition, although unfortunately seem just one brick too shallow to fit the pieces in without partial disassembly - a very unfortunate oversight, as it makes set-up and storage much more time consuming. A few major cons include the rather unorthodox and unrecognizable forms chosen for the bishops, knights, and pirates' rooks, which make them easy to confuse with each other and very hard to distinguish at a glance. This significantly undermines the value of the set for teaching kids chess. The other major con, in my view, is the completely baffling decision to provide the bluecoat pawns with *neither* the epaulettes *nor* the shako hats that bluecoat soldiers normally come with. This greatly decreases the utility of the set as an "army builder", because to make these pieces look like actual soldiers, these missing parts would have to be ordered separately from a second-market reseller. A very, very unfortunate decision there. PROS: - Beautiful set! - Modular scenery! - Storage compartments! - Good value! CONS: - Storage compartments are too small for the pieces - Some pieces are unrecognizable - Soldier pawns lack hats and epaulettes Overall, a good set and a great value for the money, albeit with some glaring (and surprising) flaws.May 8, 2015Allison Licensed Product Specialist, Consumer ServiceThank you so much for your feedback from the Chess set. You bring up some very good points. We wanted the look of the pieces to be more like LEGO® pieces more than the traditional Chess pieces. We will be passing this information along to the design team, as hearing what our fans have to say only makes a better company.Play Experience4.0Level of Difficulty2.0Value for Money5.0Build Time: 35 minsBuilding Experience: Expert LEGO builderWas this helpful?35LEGO® Pirates Chess Set
- January 4th, 2016Average rating3out of 5 stars3.0Great minifigs, design problemsI would recommend this to a friend!I picked this up at the discounted price and have to say it was an excellent deal. The set includes 20 mini figures and a host of other interesting parts, like building plates. Overall, I'm pleased with it as a collection of LEGO pieces. As a game, it leaves a bit to be desired. pieces are to be held in place by attaching the bottom of the piece to the little nub in the middle of the square. This tends to work unreliably, so pieces tend to want to fall over or take a fair amount of work to get into place. This becomes particularly problematical because the pieces are often as wide as the squares, so there is no room to maneuver them and you end up knocking over adjoining pieces when moving your piece. It's just not very functional. Also, the base is advertised as being the place you store the pieces. That's a great idea! You just lift off the sections of the board and put the pieces inside. However, when you go to replace the board, so as to securely store the pieces, you find out that the storage space isn't deep enough to hold all of the pieces, quite a few of which are deeper than the storage compartment is high. If they would add another course of bricks to the side walls of the compartments, then the pieces would all fit. I don't understand how they managed to overlook this simple shortcoming. So, buy it for the minifigs and the building plates, but don't expect to be able to play chess very well with it, or to be able to store it intact using the provided case.Play Experience2.0Level of Difficulty3.0Value for Money4.0Build Time: 2 hrsWas this helpful?35LEGO® Pirates Chess Set
- July 30th, 2016Average rating5out of 5 stars5.0Chess at it's most fun!Ricster |I would recommend this to a friend!Purchased for: SelfLego products have always been about encouraging creativity, not just entertainment. Chess is a game that goes very well with these values, and this set is up to the standard. It is a very fun introduction for any child into the actual game, for it will relate to the familiarity of Lego minifigs. Personally, I collect chess sets and this has become my favourite having just spent over am month owning it. BUILD: 4/5 The board is very sturdy, with just enough space for figures to move comfortably. The jumper 2x2 bricks are a good choice for the actual checkerboard, but the ease of moving the figures comes with the downside that they will fall easily by accident. However, the addition of the beach on either side is a great decision to add to the Legoness of the game, as it can serve to display the set in a compact way if there is no space in the house to display the full set. It travels well with the integrated storage compartments as well. Makes me want to create my own chess sets following these instructions for other themes (ahem, Star Wars). MINIFIGS: 4/5 If you're looking for a way to build up a Pirate crew and a small Bluecoat arsenal, look no further. The repetitiveness of the pawns is why I´m knocking off a star on this one, but they are of good construction and design nonetheless. I would have hoped personally for a better choice in some of the other figures, such as incorporating an actual knight or equivalent instead of a map, or the parrots on the Pirate's side look more like knights while the stone skulls appear more like towers. OVERALL: 4/5 This is a fantastic set that makes me wish they had chess sets for every theme they make. I'm sad to see that this product has been on sale for so long, probably due to the low sales it has had (I hope to be mistaken on this assumption). I encourage more parents support sets like these that not only promote imagination and creativity, but critical and strategic thinking as well. SUMMARY: MUST-HAVEPlay Experience5.0Value for Money5.0Build Time: 1 hrsBuilding Experience: Advanced LEGO builderWas this helpful?55LEGO® Pirates Chess Set