John Nash (1752 – 1835)
John Nash was given the task of transforming a townhouse into a royal palace. He doubled the size of the existing building, added two new wings and clad the whole structure in Bath stone. Though widely considered as an architectural masterpiece, the building costs soon escalated out of control. Nash was eventually removed from his post, never to receive an official commission again.
Edward Blore (1787 – 1879)
Edward Blore was contracted to complete the work started by Nash and was chosen again in 1841 to design the extension to the palace during the reign of Queen Victoria. He added an attic floor to the main floor of the palace and designed the new East front with its now famous façade and balcony.
Sir Aston Webb (1849 – 1930)
In 1913, King George V asked Aston Webb to redesign and repair the building’s façade. Webb, a renowned London-born architect, remodeled the building to the form we know today and clad the structure in Portland stone.
View Product Details