Crocodile LocomotiveCreator Expert
Clear your mind and escape the daily grind with this fulfilling building project. If your passion for toy train sets has never really left you, you’ll love recreating the amazing details of the Crocodile Locomotive, a vintage classic from the golden age of rail travel.
Impressive attention to detail
Inspired by the Class Ce 6/8 II locomotive, first built for the Swiss Federal Railways between 1919 and 1927, this beautiful LEGO® model is packed with realistic details. With side rods that move as the wheels turn and posable pantographs that move up and down, there’s lots to explore. Lift the roof to access the crew compartment and use the 2 minifigures to bring the story of this iconic train to life. Add the Powered Up components (sold separately) to motorize your locomotive.
Spark your passion for building
The Crocodile Locomotive (10277) is part of a collection of LEGO® model building kits for adults who love beautiful design. This model also makes a great gift for anyone who loves model trains.
- This LEGO® Crocodile Locomotive (10277) model kit is perfect for adults looking to build a vintage locomotive model or for anyone who loves trains and is looking for their next hobby project.
- Enjoy a rewarding challenge as you bring this buildable model train to life. Then explore the features and functions packed into this set, which celebrates the classic Crocodile Locomotive train.
- Discover amazing details with authentic features true to the original Crocodile Locomotive. The 2 LEGO®minifigures with tools, display track and plaque provide lots to explore after building the classic train.
- Ideal for model train fans, railway enthusiasts and LEGO® lovers, this building kit for adults makes a creative gift or birthday present to transport building fans to a world of total relaxation.
- This train model measures over 6” (16cm) high, 20.5” (52cm) long and 3.5” (8cm) wide, making it a beautiful display piece to show off with pride.
- You can jump right into this immersive building project since no batteries are required. To motorize your locomotive, add 1 x 88009 and 1 x 88013 Powered Up components (sold separately).
- This building set for adults comes with coffee-table-style building instructions with design details to encourage and inspire you.
- Part of a series of inspiring LEGO® building model sets for adults, designed for LEGO building fans, and hobbyists who love elegant design, beautiful architecture and models packed with detail.
- LEGO® building bricks meet the highest industry standards, which ensures they are consistent, compatible and connect and pull apart easily every time – it’s been that way since 1958.
- LEGO® bricks and pieces are rigorously tested to ensure that every building set meets the highest safety and quality standards, so you can be sure that this set is designed to last.
- October 7th, 2020Average rating5out of 5 stars5.0As impressive as the originalKari1982 | 35-44I would recommend this to a friend!Purchased for: SelfLEGO created a wonderful LEGO locomotive based on the real thing, the Swiss 6/8 III Crocodile. This is what AFOLs (and probably elder kids) were waiting for many years after the great Creator Expert trains. Stunning details, lovely solutions everywhere. It looks like the real thing and with Powered Up application it sounds like the real thing. Personally I don't need the display stand but understand the logic behind it. Well, if this is the way that ensures more purchases by AFOLs (and more Train sets later by LEGO) then be it. I like that it can be motorized easily, enjoyed building the set and love to see it going around. One thing I would change is the instructions: it is hard to read due to the black background. It was not a good choice as the dark reddish brown and dark bluish gray pieces cannot be seen even in sunlight. I would stay with light blue colour as instructions' background. The other annoying thing is that the loco derails easily in curves which could be eliminated by using some ballast as was the case in the good old 12v era. Last thing is that there is no light for the loco out of the box but I am sure experienced builders can add it. The verdict: it is a must buy for all adult LEGO and Train fans. I like it so much that I plan to purchase another copy.Play ExperienceAverage rating5out of 5 stars5.0Value for MoneyAverage rating5out of 5 stars5.0Build Time: 4 hrsBuilding Experience: Expert LEGO builderWas this helpful?55Crocodile Locomotive
- July 7th, 2020Average rating5out of 5 stars5.0Excellent locomotive --- first in a series I hope!MikeTrainMan | 35-44I would recommend this to a friend!Purchased for: SelfWhat a wonderful surprise the Crocidile Locomotive was. Lego nailed the design, color palette, brick selection and overall design. Congrats to the designer for a job well-done. The build was challenging for certain, however, most will find that the most challenging aspect is to achieve the perfection as shown with the imagery on the package, in the instructions or the picture found on lego.com. The positioning of the wheels prior to adding the cross bars, for example, differs from side-to-side to achieve a realistic effect. The brown brick selection used as the main color is simply perfect, and changes in appearance depending on the light in the space. I especially appreciate the display track included with this set. I will not operate this locomotive with the optional power functions, I have the set on display on my desk where it will remain. The display track is substantial, detailed and elevates the overall quality of the locomotive itself. Great job, Lego team, on this set. I hope you consider future locomotives and create a bit of a series. I will purchase all of them if you do. With so many locomotives to select from, from around the globe, I'm certain you'll have no trouble growing the series and interest from your global consumer base.Play ExperienceAverage rating5out of 5 stars5.0Level of DifficultyAverage rating4out of 5 stars4.0Value for MoneyAverage rating5out of 5 stars5.0Build Time: 5 hrsBuilding Experience: Expert LEGO builderWas this helpful?55Crocodile Locomotive
- July 6th, 2020Average rating5out of 5 stars5.0Getting the most out of this amazing trainZephyr1934 | 45-54I would recommend this to a friend!Purchased for: SelfIf you like Lego and you like trains you'll find this set is amazing. Probably the best train Lego has produced for adult builders. HOWEVER, there are two problems with this set that can lead to great frustration. Fortunately both of them can be easily fixed. 1) If you are planning on motorizing this set, when you get to step 53 in the instructions, stop and read ahead 65 pages to where they give the instructions for motorizing the set. You will discover that you can save yourself from 15+ min of building an interior that you will subsequently remove to make room for the motor. (if you are not motorizing it right away, go ahead and build the interior) 2) At least one popular youtuber encountered a serious design flaw that causes the train to derail, especially when running on the old metal track (9v track, discontinued 14 years ago), but what he didn't realize is that the problem is easily fixed. I too had this problem. So first let me explain what the problem is- when two wheels on an axle go around a curve the inside wheel wants to go slower than the outside wheel. For a non-powered train axle having red traction bands on both wheels can cause problems because the "grip" causes the two wheels to fight each other and in this case even contributing to a derailment. The solution is to remove exactly one red traction band from each unpowered axle. Ideally you should remove the red band from the right side of the first axle and left side of the last axle, but it will probably work if you remove exactly one red band from a given unpowered axle. In recap, you want red traction bands on all of the motorized wheels so the train will move, and then for the non-motorized axles you only want one wheel with a red traction band per axle so that the rods will turn and then for the other wheel on that axle make sure that it does NOT have a red traction band so that it can slip on the curves (don't worry about the smaller wheels, those already spin independently). Other tips- if you are only building this set for static display, you might want to slip a couple of brown 1x4 bricks and a 1x4 tile into the gaps between the cab and each hood. There are also some clever tricks using 1x4x1 panels for hiding this gap when running, but you'll need to search online for those.Level of DifficultyAverage rating4out of 5 stars4.0Value for MoneyAverage rating5out of 5 stars5.0Building Experience: Expert LEGO builderWas this helpful?55Crocodile Locomotive
- March 31st, 2021Average rating5out of 5 stars5.0A Swiss CrocodileRoy1959 | 55-64I would recommend this to a friend!Purchased for: SelfWhat fun to build this locomotive. The instructions were really comprehensive and it was just a nice quiet day building a fantastic model. Everybody who has seen it is really impressed. Since building the model I have added a LED lighting kit and it looks great on a shelf.Play ExperienceAverage rating4out of 5 stars4.0Level of DifficultyAverage rating4out of 5 stars4.0Value for MoneyAverage rating5out of 5 stars5.0Build Time: 6 hrsBuilding Experience: Intermediate LEGO builderWas this helpful?55Crocodile Locomotive