3.13 What are the new features in the LEGO® MINDSTORMS® EV3 Home Edition Software versus NXT?
There are many new features and improvements from the NXT Software to the EV3 Software. Some of the more noticeable ones are: Lobby:
- New full screen Lobby to navigate through the content provided including access to the project files for the five EV3 Hero Robots, TRACK3R, SPIK3R, R3PTAR, GRIPP3R and EV3RSTORM, plus direct links to the 12 Fan-made Bonus Robots.
- Content is editable directly inside the software, enabling customization of existing projects or creation of new ones from scratch.
Tighter integration between the EV3 Brick and the programming environment:
- The hardware page enables monitoring of the status and values measured by all the hardware elements.
- Hardware elements are automatically recognized thanks to Auto ID.
- Bluetooth configuration is facilitated by the USB-to-Bluetooth features.
Debugging features are now part of the programming environment:
- Execution highlight
- Programming blocks will display a warning symbol if expected hardware by the programming block is different from the detected hardware by Auto ID.
- Probes enable seeing the values go through the data wires.
New programming blocks’ possibilities:
- Simple strip programming by snapping blocks together (no need to use the beam anymore).
- Block parameters are configured directly on blocks.
- Read the program sequence directly on blocks.
- Improved sequence wires facilitate showing the structure of the program and create parallel execution.
- “Wait for change” has been added to easily create robots that behave according to change in the environment, as opposed to waiting for the threshold, which only works by comparing measured values.
- Data wires are improved and data casting has been added to simplify data type conversion.
- Arrays integrated in the standard blocks.
- Loop Interruption is now possible, enabling the creation of advanced state control mechanisms.